BLOCKADE / 2005
This movie is about the siege of Leningrad during the Second World War. There are no words, no music, only sounds and pictures of slowly dying city.
2006: Blockade (Sergei Loznitsa)Tatiana Efremova, 2017-12-01, www.sensesofcinema.com
Is it possible to tell the story of a besieged city without the trace of an epic? Can one capture the state of emergency without melodramatic excess? Recounting the Siege of Leningrad in 1941-44, Sergei Loznitsaʼs archival documentary Blokada (Blockade, 2006) brilliantly transcends both challenges.
festivals & awards
- International Film Festival 'Stalker' in Moskau, RussiaJury Award
- International Film Festival 'Stalker' in Moskau, RussiaCritics Prix
- National cinemacritics prix for best documentary film, Russia"White Elefant"
- National academy prix 'NIKA' for best documentary film, RussiaBest Documentary
- International Film Festival 'Kontakt' in Kiew, UkrainGrand Prix
- International Film Festival Madrid, SpainSecond Prix
- St. Petersburg’s Government prix
- International Krakow Short Film Festival, PolandGrand Prix 'Gold Dragon'
- Jerusalem International Film Festival, IsraelBest Documentary Film from archive
- International Film Festival 'Message to man' St.Petersburg, RussiaJury Avard
- Film Festival Viborg, RussiaGrand Prix for Best Dokumentary Film
- Open Documentary Film Festival 'Russia' , Ekaterinburg, RussiaBest Documentary Film
- 'Golden laurel' National documentary film prix, RussiaBest Documentary
- Chicago International Documentary FestivalArie&Bozena Zweig Innovation Award